The first of four exclusive part-serialisations of THE YEAR OF SAYING YES by Hannah Doyle.
It’s drizzling outside, which totally matches my #currentmood. Pigs in blankets, all the mince pies and a festive Baileys or five are distant memories. You know the drill – it’s January. Everyone’s banning booze (terrible idea) or cutting carbs (impossible). To add to the misery pile, my plans to seduce the man of my dreams at the stroke of midnight flopped spectacularly.
I’m Izzy. I don’t just need a New Year resolution, I need a whole new life. And I need YOU. My dreary life is about to get a total makeover – it’s my ‘Year of Saying Yes’. And this is where you come in. It’s up to you to #DareIzzy. I’m saying yes to your challenges, no matter how nuts, adventurous or wild they are. The sky’s the limit – I’m at your mercy, readers!
Wish me luck. I have a feeling I’m going to need it.
What does TWG think?
Brand new year and what better way to kick off 2017 on TWG than with a review of ‘The Year of Saying Yes’ but debut author, Hannah Doyle! Millions of people probably gave themselves New Years resolutions in the run up to 2017, whilst several million people probably knew that they would break the resolutions in the first few hours (so didn’t even bother). Although, there may be some of you reading this now, who constantly give themselves a list of ‘don’ts’ for a brand new year.
Don’t eat too much.
Don’t drink too much.
Don’t stay up too late.
Don’t be too trusting.
Sound familiar? If you’re nodding, the ‘don’t’ list is quite popular. Take Izzy for example; she constantly gives herself tough boundaries which often cause more stress than they’re worth. I mean, what’s an extra vodka martini between friends? So, one morning at work, Izzy’s brain and mouth didn’t feel like talking to each other and she pretty much dug herself a hole with her own PERSONAL idea. Thing is, it’s no longer personal. It’s everywhere. It’s Izzy’s year of saying YES…..to dares sent in by her readers. Brave….very, brave!
Hannah Doyle’s new book is part of a series with each part being released individually. Now, I first spotted the #yessquad on Instagram and I knew straight away that I had to say yes to whatever it was about, but I was too late..sniff. However, I finally got hold of a copy of the book and at 4% in, I was already laughing out loud and snorting. Sexy, I know, but true. If 4% of a book could make me laugh so much in such a small amount of time, it’s a keeper. Luckily though, the other 96% of the book just kept getting better, and before I knew it, the blasted thing had ended!! Seeing as the book is split into parts, it does mean each individual part is relatively short (meaning you speed through it like a bunny eating a carrot and wonder why it’s ended so quickly).
Despite the incredible humour, the book is centred around a fabulous idea. We constantly say ‘no’ to things if they’re out of our comfort zone, or brand new to us, as we are often too afraid to just go for it in fear of our own opinions (and others). What IS so bad about saying YES? Don’t get me wrong, some of the things that Izzy got dared to do, were even out of my comfort zone by miles. However, good on her for going for it!
I CANNOT wait to see what Izzy gets up to next in part 2 (out January 12th). Hannah Doyle is definitely one to watch for 2017, especially as this is definitely a book to say YES to!
Part One of The Year of Saying Yes is available right now from Amazon UK!